Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Habibi.. thoughts

I read through Habibi and when I finished it I wasn't quite sure what to think. So I decided to go through all of the coursepack readings and I still wasn't sure. Then I just sat and thought about the book for a veery long time and I realized there is a lot more to the novel than I originally caught. I found this letter that the author Naomi Nye wrote to "Would be Terrorists" http://godlas.myweb.uga.edu/shihabnye.html. She discusses how much time she spends writing in to newspapers, lawmakers, etc. regarding the United States unfair policies on Israel. This reminded me of a State News article a few weeks ago. I do not have a link for it but it was about two Arab American girls that were holding a sit in at their congressmen's office until he was willing to speak to them about the United States support for Israel in light of the recent conflict occuring there. Thinking about this side of the debate caused me to spend some time looking for examples of how Nye shows United States support towards Israel in the book and it cropped up several times. One time Liyana and her brother and directly addressing American citizens to explain to them how the United States supplies Israeli soldiers with guns and money. This is a very important issue for a lot of people but it seems like its something that does not get discussed very much. When I get some time I will need to go searching for more of Nye's writings to see how she writes about this issue even more.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this link. I'm looking forward to talking about this further in class.

    ReplyDelete